The Met | China: Through the Looking Glass

Monday, September 28, 2015

Note to self and my lovely readers: Never wait until the last day to see the costume exhibit at The Met. It's going to be hectic and crowded no matter when you decide to go. 

I usually prefer to go a month or two after it opens to avoid the crowds but this year for some reason (ahem, the bf) I didn't make it until closing day, two hours before the museum was about to close. Anxiety levels were at an all time high during this visit! Two hours was definitely not enough to fully absorb everything from the exhibit. I felt pressured the entire time because I wanted to capture as much as I could so I can share it with all of you. The Met usually doesn't allow photography inside the costume exhibit so I was surprised when I saw people busting out their DSLRs. I'm not sure if it was because it was the last day so they didn't care but everyone was having a free for all snapping away. I didn't get to fully experience the exhibit the way I wanted to because I knew I had to get my shots and keep it moving if I wanted to see everything. I had a slight conniption because halfway through my boyfriend wanted to take a detour and meander through the Japan gallery (which is permanent, btw) so there goes another 2 minutes! This exhibit felt near and dear to me for obvious reasons and I didn't want to miss any of it. All in all, I'm glad I got to see this exhibit in person. The details on the dresses and gowns were absolutely breathtaking. Even though my visit was a bit rushed, I thoroughly enjoyed the exhibit this year. 

A little something about the exhibit from metmuseum.org
This exhibition explores the impact of Chinese aesthetics on Western fashion and how China has fueled the fashionable imagination for centuries. In this collaboration between The Costume Institute and the Department of Asian Art, high fashion is juxtaposed with Chinese costumes, paintings, porcelains, and other art, including films, to reveal enchanting reflections of Chinese imagery.

The exhibition features more than 140 examples of haute couture and avant-garde ready-to-wear alongside Chinese art. Filmic representations of China are incorporated throughout to reveal how our visions of China are framed by narratives that draw upon popular culture, and also to recognize the importance of cinema as a medium through which to understand the richness of Chinese history.

Below are a few highlights from the exhibit. Enjoy!

 
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
     
  

And of course, I saved the best for last.

xo, m.

BLOGLOVIN . INSTAGRAM . TWITTER . YOUTUBE 

2 comments:

  1. That looked like such a stunning exhibit - such a shame you only had two hours to soak it all in! But at least you got to see it in person. I'm living vicariously through your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks girl! I'm definitely never waiting til the very last day to see an exhibit ever again! I'm glad I got to experience it even if I didn't get to read about each piece. :(
      XO

      Delete