Gazing Globes | Madison Square Park

Monday, March 16, 2015


Gazing Globes is an outdoor installation by Paula Hayes currently on view at Madison Square Park until April 19, 2015. This installation went on display back in February. I remember being so intrigued walking by it as the park was covered with snow a month ago. At the time I was in rush and the crowds turned me off so I just admired the beauty of these pretty snow globes from afar. It made Madison Square Park look like the ultimate winter wonderland. I knew it was definitely something I had to come back for and find out more about. 

[Artist Paula Hayes said, "I used vintage parts because technology moves at such a fast pace. These play a role in the current landscape and how information is transmitted from one part of the globe to the next. I made an illuminated landscape evocative of the designed landscape of Madison Square Park. Both are born of human imagination and technology." The globes, says Hayes, give the park "an arctic feeling, a winter wonderland."

Gazing globes are a decorative form first used in outdoor gardens in the Middle Ages. These orbs were made of hand-blown glass, and were considered to hold magical power and to foster good luck or ward off evil. Hayes conjures the mystical character of the historic object but makes the form fully contemporary as she creates work with present-day scrutiny and a nod to clairvoyance.]

Absolutely love the concept behind this installation. Go explore your city!

xo, m.

photos by me

21 comments:

  1. So Beautiful! Wish I was in town to see thing.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally can! It's on view until mid April! x

      Delete
  2. This is so cool! Will check it out!

    https://www.bonaupetite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! They're amazing!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow these are incredible! Must check them out sometime soon. Beautiful photos love x

    Erica
    www.eggcanvas.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Erica! :) x

      Delete
  4. woahh!! those are so ethereal!!! i love public art installations like these!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's so gorgeous right smack in the middle of the city! x

      Delete
  5. What a stunning display! I'm happy that this exhibit will be up until April 19th. I'll get a chance to see it...Happy Wednesday :)

    http://www.lovecompassionatelee.com/thinkoutloud/2015/3/1/3215

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow gorgeous photos! ♥
    xoxo,
    snowprincessbella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately ive been so busy at work that i dont even have time to go around NYC. Thanks for your posts, they keep me sane. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and my busy season to be over, perhaps i can persuade the BF to go with me before 4/19 to see these in person. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm glad! :) Hopefully you can see it in person! :)

      Delete
  8. That is such a cool installation! I wonder how she made them? I wish I was in town during this time to see them in person!

    <(') Hoda | JooJoo Azad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I briefly checked these out during the night, but this post really made me want to go check them out during the day! They're so beautiful!

    Characters & Carry-ons

    ReplyDelete