Digital Detox

Wednesday, February 4, 2015


I can't even begin to tell you how good it felt to completely disconnect over the past two and a half weeks. Although it was totally involuntary due to my ailments, the digital detox was very much needed. I've been so sick with fevers, chills, a random stye, and a nagging cough that just won't let up. My body has taken a total beat down over the past two weeks. I'm finally starting to feel slightly better. 

Today we live in a world where technology literally owns us. We've been so conditioned to stay connected to brands we love, the news, our friends and family via social media. If you're not constantly in the know, not sharing, you're not living. That's a tad extreme, but it can feel like that at times. Especially when you're trying to build yourself as a blogger, youtuber, or whatever your hustle may be; any slight hiatus can seem detrimental. I was putting so much pressure on myself to post something, anything on my blog or channel, I was driving myself crazy. I felt like I was letting my readers, viewers and myself down. I came to terms with it after a week because I just physically couldn't do anything. Instead of beating myself up over something I had no control over, I knew I had to get better before even thinking about rejoining the digital world. It was quite refreshing to not be subjected to the daily social media marketing across my feeds. Don't get me wrong I love keeping up and knowing about the latest and greatest, but there comes a point where its a bit much. When you force yourself to create, it's counter productive because your mind isn't clear. I'd rather produce the best possible content I can when I'm 100% myself again than force it. I just felt like rambling today because I know I'm not the only one that feels this way about the digital world. Don't get me wrong, technology is a wonderful and resourceful tool but it's so important to not let it consume you.

Unplugging every now and then is not only healthy, but necessary for your overall sanity being. Social media is a source of entertainment, it should be fun and enjoyable, not stressful. More importantly remember to always always take care of yourself and your health before anything else. 

xo, m.

6 comments: