Lunar New Year

Thursday, February 19, 2015


HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR to all my Asian peeps out there! 2015 is the year of the sheep, some say goat. Tomato tomahto. Today had to be the coldest day of the year so far, 3 degrees! I didn't want to miss todays festivities so I braved the freezing temps and mobs of Asians just so I could share some highlights with you guys. I was so pleased with all the photos I took until I realized I had my camera set to square mode instead of portrait/ landscape! Grrrrrr! I had no choice but to put them into a collage. I think they look better that way anyway. 

The last time I attended the parade (well kinda) I was a wee child. My family and I would go over to my cousins apartment in Chinatown and we'd watch the lion dance from above. They live pretty high up so we had the best view in the house! There's nothing like experiencing it in person though; being front and center with all the colorful lions in your face, the firecrackers crackling about and the rhythmic drumming! The energy in the air was so contagious! After a few minutes I completely forgot about how cold it was. I appreciate everything so much more now as an adult than my little 10 year old self ever did.


I highly recommend everyone to go check out the lunar new year parade & festival in your city at least once in your life. Even if you're not Asian, and even if its only for a few minutes. It'll definitely be a fun cultural experience for anyone. 

xo, m.

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Years. I haven't been to the parade in years. You are brave going there in this weather. I had to work so I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year!! :) Me neither! This year I felt really compelled to go for some reason.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog... and these photos are SO cool! Looks like some scenes straight out of a movie...
    and I agree, the squared photo sizing looks cool grouped together into collages.

    xo,
    Amber
    All the Cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you girl! That makes me so happy to hear! xx

      Delete