Chalk FIT

Saturday, November 8, 2014

  
  
  
  

  
  
  
  
  
  

I know, I know this post is extremely photo heavy. I originally planned on posting a few of my favorites but they were all so good I couldn't decide so I ended up posting most of them... yes, there's more! These photos were taken right after sunset, I'm surprised they turned out so well! Must be the light emitting from the surrounding buildings. The illustrations seem so much more lively at night. I tried my best to get the name of the artist with each corresponding piece but Seventh Avenue is insane during rush hour. I was lucky to get such good shots of the photos I took. Those who know me know I'm a huuuge fan of street art. It brings curiosity and awe to a mundane walk wherever you're headed to or from. I love running into new pieces and discovering new artists unexpectedly. 

Chalk FIT is an installation created by students of the Illustration Department at FIT. The illustrations run along the façade of FIT on Seventh Avenue between 27th and 28th street showcasing over 60 pieces of art all created by chalk as well as some other materials I'm sure. Chalk FIT started in the Fall of 2013. I really wish I knew about this last year because they had some amazing pieces last year as well. Ever since I graduated I'm rarely ever on this side of town anymore (unless I have to be) mainly because it conjures those love/hate feelings I had towards FIT when I attended. Also if I have no reason to be around the Herald Square area, I usually avoid it like the plague. Anyone who has to pass by during rush hour knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's not a pleasant experience by any means, trust me. Anyway, Chalk FIT is definitely a sight to see, these students are incredibly talented! Aren't these illustrations inspiring? Makes me want to grab a drawing pad and start sketching! Go check it out before it's gone! 

Major thanks to my boyfriend for bringing me back to my alma mater. FIT was NEVER this cool when I was a student! Kinda miss it... 

xo, m.

Photos by me

6 comments:

  1. What a great find. I know NyC is filled with talented artists, but this is an opener because I've never seen chalk art. Thanks for sharing ur finds with us. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! :) I was so impressed with the shading and depth of some of the pieces! It's amazing to see in person! xo

      Delete
  2. That's so awesome, thanks for sharing! I love NYC for exactly that reason! "Random" art everywhere!
    Girl, you should have totally vlogged this. I miss seeing you on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! I love it when people appreciate the same things as I do so thank YOU! :) It was too dark to vlog... :( the pictures came out good but video looked horrible. Aww thx hun <3 I had the worst hair experience ever yesterday! That salon I told you to go to... stay away! Don't touch that shit with a ten foot pole! It was only good because of my colorist at the time but she moved to NC... I'll blog about it later today but until I get this hair fixed I won't be making any videos. :( I need to go catch up on yours! xo

      Delete
  3. So many friends of mine go to FIT. can't wait to visit NYC next year. let's drink/eat/buy everything!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way!! What major? and AHHHHH!!!! :D When are you coming?! Best news I've heard all day! You know we will girl!!! <3

      Delete